Angelo,

> I do need to acess a oracle 8i in a intel windows 2000 machine from a linux apache
> webserver, how can it be done? php, jdbc? i do use php and java,
> what guidelines must i follow to acess the database?

If you install the Oracle Client for Linux you can recompile PHP with
Oracle support (oci_* funcitons) and use PEAR DB if you wish. Much
easier and lighier than use JDBC. The advantage of using JDBC is that
you do not need any Oracle client software installed.

Be carefull of the Oracle release and Red hat (GLIBC) release used.
They have to match, otherwise you'll got a non-functioning PHP modile
and so a non-working apache. Eve if you can install oracle using the
compat-* libraries, mixing software compiled with the system glibc
and a compat glibc on the same executable wont't work.

You can download Oracle for Linux from technet.oracle.com and them
install just the client. Oracle versions do not have to match, so
if you use Red Hat 7.2/7.3 go get Oracle 9iR2.

[]s, Fernando Lozano