At 10:07 AM -0700 9/5/02, daniel a. g. quinn wrote:
>i'm a fan of the asus a7v board.  'course i've been using it for a while
>now.  it supports tbird athalon chips upto something like 1gz and has lots
>cool stuff like dual cpu fan support and lots of usb ports.  i'm afraid i
>don't know much more other than it's never steered me wrong.

        Thanks for the recommendation, but I stay away from ASUS
motherboards. I have one (ASUS CL2) in a server, now. The thing
originally had Micron RAMM in it, and it ATE 2 sticks of 256 (PC100)
RAM in the first few weeks. Lots of kernel panics and very strange
crashes of services and processes over a 3-4 month period, too. No
common cause, ... until other people had similar "strange" behavior
with that combination.

        My advice to the list:  Stay AWAY from ASUS motherboards and
Micron RAMM!!  Very bad combination that WILL make your reliable
Linux box as bad or WORSE than a Windows NT server!

        Switching to Samsung RAMM solved my problem with the kernel
panics and crashing. Seems that ASUS does something to the
programming of the boards. Dunno what, exactly.

Patrick Beart

Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell