On Saturday 07 September 2002 07:38 pm, Robert Canary wrote:
> try adding
> *.debug               /var/log/debug.log

I tried that.  It logs the firewall messages (plus some other things) to that
file.  But it still logs to /var/log/messages and it still logs to the
screen.  I don't actually want it to any additional places.  I just want it
to stop logging to the screen.

> it is hard to tell which facility to capture, but since you have
> debuggibg turned on I am guessing it should be in the .debug sub
> facility.

>From this firewall message:
Sep  9 19:27:08 hostname kernel: Dropped: IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=00:05:xx:xx:xx:xx:00:00:77:95:6e:c6:08:00 SRC=24.68.18.131
DST=xx.xx.xx.xx LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=125 ID=5039 PROTO=UDP SPT=137
DPT=137 LEN=58

It appears that it is the kernel facility that is being logged.  This makes
sense since it's a kernel module that does the filtering.

>From this portion of my "iptables -L" command

LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level warning
prefix `Dropped:

it appears that it's logging with a priority of 'warning'.  When I wrote that
I was "debugging" my firewall, I was trying to figure out why it isn't
working.  For the time being, I am assuming it is because of an incorrect
firewall rule.  I added a rule to display every received packet so I can see
what is being received and what is being dropped.  I didn't actually modify
syslog.conf to log any facilities at the debug level to do this.

> You might want to try creating a log file local1 thru local7

I don't think this will make any difference since the firewall rules seem to
be logging using the kernel facility.

...Stephen