On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 03:26:18PM -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>
> > Yeah Im seeing the same thing Kent Borg had, Top only returns info on 1 CPU,
> > but that could b/c the verion of *Nix Im running.  Thanks Everyone!!!
>
>     Just a dumb question: you are running an smp kernel, correct?

No, no, no, no, no.

I am running a uniprocessor kernel on a uniprocessor machine and I
know that.  I assume that were I running SMP I could see the different
CPUs in the output from top.  (I would have done that immediately on
getting an SMP machine to admire it!)

What *I* was wondering was where I might see multiple CPU information
in the /proc file system.  As far as I know, top only looks in the
/proc file system to get its info anyway, and as top is designed for
human consumption, it seemed cleaner, faster, and prettier to get the
CPU count from the /proc file system directly.  The question then is:
where in /proc?

I was looking around hoping to find a hint of where such information
might land in /proc, were I to be runnging on an SMP machine.  I mean,
I can see where my USB bus is likely to show up were I running a
kernel that understood my USB hardware (/proc/bus).  I was hoping to
find something like, say, "/proc/cpus/cpu0" and infer that a
"/proc/cpus/cpu1" would show up there if I had a second CPU.

I didn't find that.  (Nor do I have a second CPU.)

-kb, the Kent who is still curious where this info might lie if he had
additional CPUs.