"Furnish, Trever G" wrote:

> Hmmm...  I thought the correct answer was always "when it's ready".  Now
> they have pre-announced shipping dates for products still in beta?  Seems
> ... disappointing.

What's far more likely - as it's happened before, is that Red Hat is
about ready for release.  What usually happens is that resellers and
trade journalists get notification that Red Hat is planning, subject to
product availability, to make such-and-such a product available for
shipping on some-specified-date.  If nothing goes wrong, then on that
date the doors open for business at all the usual locations; everyone
has product to sell, announcements can be made, and journalists can
release initial product reviews.  There have been a couple of times when
the process of packaging and shipping to resellers, etc., broke down.
And this has been stated by Red Hat as one of the reasons they don't
pre-announce.

Note that this "announcement" wasn't by Red Hat.  What's probably
happened here is that Amazon, as a reseller, screwed up and jumped the
gun.

best
   rickf

--
If you are successfull they'll beat a path to your doorstep ...
     Picket signs firmly in hand!