Arlington, Wash.
                                                        27 September 2002  02:47

To:     All

From:   Lou Mueller  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject:        Scanner not recognized

        Recently, I bought and installed Red Hat Linux, Version 7.3.  Although
the hardware-listing utility shows my scanner, an Epson 2450 Photo, as
being connected to the USB port, neither Linux nor X-Sane detect the
scanner to operate it.  Instead, X-Sane delivers an error message, saying
that the scanner is not active or accessible.

        This behavior by Red Hat Linux is very frustrating.  SuSE LInux, Version
7.3, detects and activates the scanner (although I had to enter a
"modprobe" command in the "boot.local" script file to activate it each
time the system is re-booted).

        What does it take to get Red Hat to recognize and activate the scanner,
or is that not possible with this version of Red Hat Linux?

        Thanks for any information.