In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
09/25/2002 at 10:34 AM,
   "Fifield, Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I am trying to install apache from source (not rpm) but after I run
>./configure
>make
>make install

>I end up with all the apache files in the /usr/local/apache2 directory,
>and when I type "service httpd start" I get an error saying that httpd is
>not a service. My question is this is there a way to install packages
>such as apache from source when there is not current rpm package. Or does
>someone know where I can find rpm's that are more up to date then what is
>available on redhats site, ie(php version 4.2.3 and apache2.0.2).

There are many programs where ./configure is all you need.

Apache's not one of 'em.  :)  The defaults probably won't match what you
want.

Here's my setup:

./configure \
 --with-layout=Apache \
 --prefix=/var/httpd \
 --enable-module=most \
 --enable-shared=max \
 --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl

There are two basic layouts, "Apache" and "GNU".  To see which one you
like best, type:

./configure --with-layout=Apache --show-layout

and

./configure --with-layout=GNU --show-layout

I like my webserver directory structure to live in /var/httpd.  That's a
personal preference thing.

If you want to be using PHP, you need to enable module support.  The next
two directives set that up.  You probably don't need the perl directive.

If you want to keep the RPM database up to date, look for checkinstall.
Checkinstall is a "wrapper" around `make install`.  It will watch what
files make install creates and create an RPM package for you.  Once you
have checkinstall installed, you `checkinstall make install`.

Now, I don't know from `service httpd start`.  Presumably it uses the
startup scripts in /etc/init.d?  Anyway, the httpd script already in
init.d probably has paths to the Apache binaries hard coded in it.  Best
thing to do is use Apache's startup script.  To do this, cd to /etc/init.d
and:
 mv httpd httpd.1
 ln -s /var/httpd/bin/apachectl httpd

Change the symlink to point to where YOU put Apache instead of where I put
it.  You may also need to edit apachectl to reflect where you want the PID
file stored  -- I like /var/run myself.

Keep the source directory around.  You may need to point to it when you
build PHP.

Steve Garcia   using MR/2 ICE #10133 with Warp 4
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For PGP key, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with subject "PGP key"
The Operating System/2 Version is 4.50
Revision 14.062
There are 40 Processes with 143 Threads.
GHARLANE: uptime is 8 days, 20:09 hours and 14 seconds

*  They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary  safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin