1. When using fdisk, is it really required (or a "good idea") to create the partitions
as type "fd"?  I've typically just created a regular Linux partition, and would let
mkraid to it's thing.  (As a result, it seems strange that I ran into #2 below since I
didn't do this step of changing the type.)

2. I can't seem to find a document describing how software RAID really works
technically.  (Yes, I could read the source, but I'm not the most proficient C person,
nor do I want to work all weekend looking at the source either.)  I had a problem the
other day, where I had a md0 device that the system was not able to mount (logical
disks mounted from a SAN).  Because the system could not mount the disks, it would
fail to boot at the section where the system would attempt to auto-detect md0 and
would drop me to single-user mode type prompt.

Taking the directory out of fstab, and tried to find something in /etc/rc.d/init.d
that was trying to do stuff with the md devices at boot but couldn't find anything.
Ended up being a problem with an old modular driver, and had to create a new initrd
with an updated driver, but I was stuck for a second (well more than a second really).

3. Is "persistent-superblock" supported with Linear and RAID0?  I think chunk-size is
only supported in RAID0 and higher, but Linear will just skip the configuration with
an informational warning at boot.

Marco

PS Basing some of my assumptions/statements above from the Software-RAID HOWTO v.
0.90.7.