I get this message at the end of the XFree86.0.log file after trying to enter GUI with
startx from text mode.  A very nice, complete GNOME video screen loads, but the
keyboard and the mouse are both disabled.  The mouse arrow is there but won't move,
and none of the keys work.  I have to reset to reboot.

All the entries in the XFree86.0.log file just before this last "Audit" message
indicate that the mouse and keyboard have been loaded with no problem.  I get:

(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: "Core Pointer"
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type MOUSE)
SetKbdSettings-type: 2 rate: 30 delay: 500 snumlk: 0
SetKbdSettings-Succeeded
Audit: Tue Sep 24 16:01:32 2002: 1387: Client 6 rejected from local host

Why am I getting rejected by the local host at this point when I am all set to start
using GNOME?  Evidently the problem is not with the mouse or keyboard which are loaded
fine as indicated, but I cannot tell where this problem orginates.

This is a new install of Red Hat Linux 7.2 (kernel 2.4.7-10) on a Intel MMX 233 chip
system with 128 Mb Ram and plenty of hard disk space so far. It is a dual boot with
Windows 3.1 on the first drive out of three.  The second drive is Windows 98, but Grub
went to the first drive for the initial MBR to establish a dual boot there.  These are
the two primary IDE drives.

I boot into Red Hat Linux text mode from the dual boot Grub with no problems.  It is
also installed in the primary partition of the third hard drive.  This system also
boots from the CD ROM with no problems which I did for the installation.  There is no
problems so far with booting and using Windows 3.1 and Windows 98 on the first two
drives except that I was having a separate boot problem already with Windows 98 which
is why I got the Red Hat Linux. I can only run Windows 98 in Safe Mode at the moment
while I try to solve this problem too.

GUI would never work on the various installs I have tried at first with Red Hat Linux
7.2 using install discs 1 and 2 from Red Hat which came with an O'Reilly book.  They
said they got the discs 1 and 2 as is from Red Hat.  I tried every combination of
install that I could specifying GNOME and KDE as a default boot load.

However, the same problem occurred with these nstallations.  Neither the mouse nor the
keyboard would work on rebooting after installation in order to login although the GUI
displayed fine, and I had to re-install each time finally specifying text mode as the
boot default.  I can operate fine in text mode and am learning fast!  The keyboard and
mouse worked fine with the install discs GUI screens until I reboot to run in GUI.
That is why this is baffling.

When booting to run in text mode, I often get the message "The following mouse has
been removed from your system: Generic PS/2".  I then respond with the "No change"
option because I have completely checked the configuration file (it uses Config-4) to
make certain all is well there which it is as can be evidenced by the XFree86.0.log
entries above.

Somehow the mouse is getting rejected at boot and then both the mouse and keyboard are
disabled after an apparent successful load for these devices when I use startx to go
into GUI (GNOME) with a fully displayed video screen.

Any ideas where I might start looking elsewhere to find the source of this problem?

Thanks

Gary

Personalized email, Group Calendar, Shared Contacts, Files and more!
http://www.norada.com/save