On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 02:34:49 -0400
"Thomas Amen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been having similar problems.  Have you added/uncommented the
> line:
>
> ftp stream tcp nowait root   /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd -l-a
>
> to the file etc/xinetd.conf?

You shouldn't have to make any changes or add to the etc/xinetd.conf
file. But, you may have to change 'disable=yes' to 'no' in
/etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd. Then restart xinetd with:

                service xinetd restart

To see if the service (ftp) is running, do:

               chkconfig --list

> I'm having timeout issues whenever I try to ftp to my linux box
> using windows XP.  Any suggestions?

  Are you able to 'ping' from/to the XP and Linux machines. If not,
you may have a firewall or networking setup issue.

  Also, look at the /etc/fthosts, /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.deny and
/etc/host.allow files. On my RH 7 machine,  the /etc/hosts.deny file
says:
   ALL:ALL
which means that all services are denied to all machines...except for
those specifically listed in /etc/hosts.allow. Make sure that the XP
machine has an entry in /etc/hosts, /etc/ftphosts and
/etc/hosts.allow. Add 'in.ftpd' (the service) to /etc/hosts.allow
along with the name of the machine allowed to use ftp. The 'man' pages
are your friends:

  man ftphosts
  man hosts.allow
  man hosts.deny

  And, remember, root is denied ftp access by default. You need to do
it as a valid user. I am unfamiliar with XP, but Win98 also has a
similar 'hosts' file which needs an entry in it for the Linux machine.
  Lastly, BEFORE you hook up FTP services to (or through) the outside
world, be aware that you need to have some strict security
implemented. If the XP machine and Linux machine are on the same
private LAN, or just hooked together, you can 'play' with the setups.

                                    Cheers,

                                     Tom