On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   first, what is the proper protocol for changing an ext3
> filesystem back to ext2?  i just read a posting on the

Unless you have a reason to remove the journal itself, you can simply
mount an ext3 partition as ext2, provided that it was unmounted cleanly.
If it wasn't, it will only mount read-only; this is a safety feature.

If you want to remove the journal, just remove the has_journal flag with:

        tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/foo

--
"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes."

                        - Holly, JMC Vessel *Red Dwarf*