OK, so a -U will upgrade a package if it already exists, or basically do an install if
no previous package was found, whereas -F will only upgrade a package if an older
version if found on the system.

Is one better/more reliable than the other on a production system?

I would guess -F would be better for "blindly" downlaoding *all* the errata, and
applying them with one command only if the package already exists on the system...

Without going to the source code, I'm assuming up2date/RHN would use -F?

Marco