On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 08:11:56PM -0400, Anthony E. Greene wrote:
> On 04-Oct-2002/10:10 -0400, Michael Tiernan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >If I've got a box with more than one ethernet card, what is the "correct"
> >way to force the system to assign numbers to them in a desired pattern?
>
> I think the device names are assigned in the order the devices are
> detected by the hardware. I don't think you can influence the process.

I believe ethernet cards are autodetected in the order onboard > isa >
pci.  However, you could probably change the order of pci ethernet cards
by switching slots.  They're detected on boot from top to bottom, top
being the closest pci slot to the agp slot.  I don't know if this true
for isa cards, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Also, if you're using a modular kernel it might be possible to assign
numbers in the order you want by playing with the values in your
/etc/modules.conf.