Well, I still can't figure out how to make metacity behave like a decent
window manager, but I finally figured out how to replace it. (What was Red
Hat thinking when they took away the nice little window manager
configuration applet?)

Anyway, the trick is to define the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable in
your .bash_profile so that gnome-session will use that program instead of
the (evil, evil!) default.

Of course, you'll have to log out and back in again for that to take
effect. Alas, I'm not sure how to switch wm's within the current session,
but this is most definitely still progress.

--
"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes."

                        - Holly, JMC Vessel *Red Dwarf*