At 11:49 AM 10/8/02, Jeff Bearer wrote:
>I'm using Mailman to manage several Newsletters,  the subscribers can't
>submit, they just receive mail.  One of the lists is up to nearly 2000
>users and Sendmail takes forever to send the mail. The last e-mail took
>20 hours to complete, and one was sent last night, in 8 hours only
>100-200 mails were sent,  currently I forced a mail queue run (sendmail
>-v -q) and it's moving faster, but it's still slow, sent about 400
>e-mail's in the past hour.

I have a lowly P2-233 and (as I recall) a message sent to a majordomo list
with over 4,000 members goes out in about 4 hours.

It has been my experience that one of these messages is handled by a single
sendmail queue run.  Starting another queue run will allow send mail to
process other outgoing messages, but the large message will be 'locked' and
therefore not processed by the second queue run.  This info based on fact
that majordomo only puts out a single message to sendmail for each
received.  If Mailman splits incoming messages into multiple outgping
messages for sendmail to handle, then multiple queue runs should help the
situation.

Frank