On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 20:12, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Ok, I think I have the fix for this.
>
> from the release notes:
>
> DMA is disabled on CD-ROM drives in this release in a different but more
> reliable way than
> previously. If you are sure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of IDE
> DMA, place the following
> line in the /etc/modules.conf
>
> options ide-cd dma=1
>
> you will then be able to turn DMA on for your cd

Trevor,

I skimmed the release notes when I installed it, but I missed this
precious nugget of info.  This was an easy fix and now I can activate
DMA on my IDE DVD.  It makes a HUGE difference.  I use ogle to playback
DVDs and I was getting like 18 frames/sec without DMA.  With DMA on, I
am back up to 24-30 fps (depending on the disk).  Thanks!!

I am starting to hammer 8.0 into shape, slowly.  Next on the testing
list is apache 2.0 with PHP4 and MySQL.  I expect to run into serious
problems, but I believe I could live with Red Hat 8.0 on my desktop now.
FYI, I've been a SuSE user for the last 3 years.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+