I am not sure about 7.1, but presumably you can/should upgrade to the
latest 7.3 kernel anyway.
I changed from 6.2 to 7.3 recently. I masq MS PPTP from
a win98 machine to a win2k server. My recollection is that
it stops working under ipchains, so I took the opportunity (was forced)
to convert to iptables. It works with no patches needed, although
I tend to recompile from redhat kernel sources,
so I cannot comment about stock kernels.

Cameron.