On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 09:23, Toralf Lund wrote:
> What is the best software for viewing large image files (TIFF, JPG,
> PNG...) on a Red Hat system? - I don't mean "large" as in a screen-full or
> two, but rather file sizes of several 100Mbs, if not Gbs.

I have sucessfully not only viewed but worked on images as large as
120MB in the Gimp.  I never had a machine I would dream of loading a GB+
file on :)

If you are going to be doing work on large files there is an article
here

http://www.graphics-muse.com/cgi/gmGimp.pl/gimp/articles/1999/15/article.html

That is several years old but has some tips that work to speed up the
working with large images.  Mainly increasing the tile (size disk io)
and reducing the undo levels (memory used)

Good luck,

Bret