Dear Jeff

I really understand your point of view, and I agree with that but I disagree
in one point: we should expect that something can occurs, being an attack, a
server down, etc, etc, although we have to give QoS to the client because he
is paying for being served! Like the restaurants we like to be well served
because we are paying for it! you Know!

The problem here is not the server being down, but when he comes up. in that
time being 1 minute or 1 hour or 1 year, many clients can update their
profiles and that information must be consistent in every databases, mainly
in the master server. If the problem can be resolved by an application why
should we solve it mannualy!

Well we have to think that things going to happen, they don't happen only to
our neighbour!

thanks for your advice, and I let you know if I implement something!

Hugo Tavares

You should ask yourself this question:

You don't expect your master LDAP server to fail frequently, if you do
then you better examine other parts of you deployment.  On the rare
occasions that the LDAP server fails, the outages will usually be short
in duration.  Do you really need to allow write access to the Directory
for these times the master is down?   For most LDAP deployments I would
think that it's not worth the investment in working out this reverse
replication thing.