-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: 15 October 2002 17:35
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AS/400 data

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 06:50 am, Richard is done writ:

> I've been given a little challenge by my boss which I'm kinda hoping one
of
> you kinda people can help me with. We need to capture some data from a
> AS/400 system held centrally. The data can only be exported by way of a
> print job from the AS/400 which prints it through a server not controlled
by
> us to a jet direct print server using port 9100 instead of the traditional
> LPR/LPD Mechanism. I need to find a way to substitute a pc for the print
> server so the jobs can be dumped to a text file on the hard disk of the
> machine.
<snip>
Seems to me that you ought to be able to write it to a disk file, and then
transfer it over your network. I've only done a tiny bit of CL, but I should
think that you could reroute the o/p to a file.

Now, keep in mind that the only time I worked with an AS/400 was 1987-8, but
you might also dig into the manuals, and see if they've added some stuff
that
was part of CICS...pcsup...can't remember, but it wasn't too hard to write a
CICS app, no screen, that would accept access from the pc, and select a
bunch
of data on the fly, and d/l it.

        mark
--
"GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!" - Megaphone Mark Slackmeyer, Doonesbury