Here is how I altered my
/etc/pam.d/rsh
and
/etc/pam.d/rlogin to accomplish this on a closed network

#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rsh" must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.
auth       sufficient     /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
[rweidman@node2 pam.d]$ more rlogin
#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rlogin" must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

--
Randy Weidman
Linux Systems Administrator

Rhode's Law:
        When any principle, law, tenet, probability, happening, circumstance,
        or result can in no way be directly, indirectly, empirically, or
        circuitously proven, derived, implied, inferred, induced, deducted,
        estimated, or scientifically guessed, it will always for the purpose
        of convenience, expediency, political advantage, material gain, or
        personal comfort, or any combination of the above, or none of the
        above, be unilaterally and unequivocally assumed, proclaimed, and
        adhered to as absolute truth to be undeniably, universally, immutably,
        and infinitely so, until such time as it becomes advantageous to
        assume otherwise, maybe.