On 10/17/02 6:18 AM, "Thomas Ribbrock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:55:06AM +0200, linux power wrote:
>>
>> Wiil you go through all the system scripts and find out which is been
>> changed?
>> If you think you are so damm good so tell me what to do?
>
> That's *very* simple: Save your personal data, wipe the drive and reinstall.
> Once the machine was hacked, there is *no* (and I mean *no*) other way, as
> there is *no* way to know exactly what has been changed.
>
> What's even *more* important is to think about what went wrong, e.g.: Were
> you up-to-date with all updates issued from Red Hat? What ports were open?
> Which services running? How was your firewall set up (if you had one)?
> Things like that might be important for the future.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Thomas

I know the pain of a security breach. Even worse is the realization that it
was probably some kid that had no idea what they were really doing, just
following some instructions they got on irc and using someone else's
programs.

The reality is, that nothing is secure, unless you pull that Ethernet cable
out of the wall. Switching back to XP is your prerogative, but, your chances
of a future breach are actually higher with it.

Lock down your system, learn about firewalls, learn about NIDS, learn about
apps like Tripwire, keep your system patched all the time as soon as you
here about a patch. These things will not secure you 100%, but they raise
the bar past script kiddies at least.

This is my technique. Someone has to be very good to hack a system that is
carefully set up and maintained. This by default means the numbers of people
with that level of skill are few. So, you have to consider why someone at
that level would attack you and to what end? If someone can achieve root
almost anywhere at anytime, there are far more interesting things to do I am
sure. Plus, guys (and girls) with that level of skill are not trolling
around port scanning ip addresses hoping to find some weakness. So, chances
are they will never come to your computer.

I guess what I am trying to say is, don't be disheartened by a breach. If
anything, its like getting your stripes... At least one of them anyways :-)