I claim no experise since I'm struggling with a new Red
Hat and
SpeedTouch USB ADSL install.   Here's what I'm using:

Please see the last entry in the index here for a
SpeedTouch install
overview:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/

There are two ways to do it: inside the kernel or
modular.  Modular is
easiest so it is said.  I cannot confirm that, but I am
working with the
following:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedtouch

This is the home page for this developer if it helps:

http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/speedtouch/index.en.php3

It's a great learning experience.  Have fun.

Gary

Your message as follows:

Thanks for the help Langa, I installed the rp-ppoe rpms
and got it
working ok. However, when selecting a network device, my
adsl moden
(alcatel speed touch USB) is not displayed as an option.
In the hardware
browser GUI thingy only my intel NIC shows up as a
network device, and
the speed touch is only shown as an unknown device.

So the only thing missing now is getting my system to
recognise the
speed touch as a network device. Can anyone advise me
please on how to
do this?

Many thanks!

Langa Kentane wrote:
> Hi Az,
> Installing the package called rp-pppoe by roaring
penguin. It should
be on
> the CD. There are lots of docs on the internet on how
to configure it.
Just
> google and you should find something useful.
>
> Ciao

install of 8.0
I am
> trying to set it up with internet access, and I have
adsl along
> with an alcatel speed touch USB adsl modem. My system
has not 'found'
> this and installed it as a possible network
connection. How do I do
> this? Can anyone help me get adsl working under red
hat 8.0 ?

--
                 Azrael

            ("\''/").___..--'''"-._
            `0_ O  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
            (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
          _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' .'
         ((i).-''  ((i).'  (((.-'

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be
made the slave
of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be
crossed with a cat it
would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

ICQ#52944566

Hosted Email, Group Scheduling, Shared Contacts
Solve360 Teams Work - http://www.norada.com/tour

 Reply   Reply All   Forward   Delete    Switch to
preview pane Printer Friendly