Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 7:40 PM
Subject: New NetGear Wireless PCMCIA

I installed a new NetGear PCMCIA wireless card yesterday, along with a new wireless access point. The box said it was compatible with all kinds of operating systems, including Linux. I opened it up, stuck the card in and booted Windows. With not too much hassle, I got everything working right. Then I looked in the documentation for what to do when I boot into Linux. Not a word about Linux anywhere in the docs., Go to NetGear's web site. Their answer is that they don't support Linux, ask the Linux vendor. Don't that beat all? So, now I'm stuck without a clue. How do I get Linux to recognize the wireless, set up the WEP encryption (128 bit) and be able to network/internet with the wireless card?

BTW, am I missing something as far as documentation goes? I've lots of information in man pages, a whole lot more in HTML pages, and none of it has a decent index/search capability. I'm sorry, but I'll be d***d before I sit down and plow through a manual page by page just to find one tidbit of information I happen to need at the moment. Understand me, I'm struggling mightily to get away from MS. The lack of an effective documentation search mechanism is very much hindering the effort. Surely there is an indexed (as in b-trieve) set of documentation that supports basic word searching. Where is it?

Thanks.

Randy

Randolph "Randy" L. Chrismon