At 21:53 18.10.2002, linux power said:
--------------------[snip]--------------------
>I'am new to tripwire so I dont know exactly how to use
>it. I have build the databse with tripwire -m i
>and tried the check with tripwire -m c
>But when I ran tripwire -m u I got an error message
>about a file it couldnt find.

The file it is looking for is the latest tripwire report file, usually
located in /var/lib/tripwire/report/, named
<yoursystemnamehere>-yyyymmdd-hhmmss.twr. Just use your tab key to locate
the latest report.

>Also I dont know how the intruder detection works.I
>even know if tripwire is running or shall be running
>like a deamon, or the user must himself run the check
>regulary.

When installing tripwire it usually installs itself as a cron job to be run
round midnight. Check /etc/cron.daily for a file named tripwire-check.

>I have not give any email address to be notified cause
>I dont use sendmail.

If root cannot be mailed to then your first issue after entering the office
and getting yourself some coffee should be to analyze the latest tripwire
report file (location see above):
      twprint -m r -r <your.report.file> |less

HTH,

   >O     Ernest E. Vogelsinger
   (\)    ICQ#   13394035
    ^