On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:42:48PM -0400, Jim Moberg wrote:
> Hi.  I am looking for a recommendation on a modem to use with Red Hat
> Linux 7.3.  From what I have seen external modems are the way to go.
> That's fine.  I just don't know what brands tend to work better.  Has
> anyone worked with the ZOOM brand?  If so what has your experience
> been?  Thanks!

What's good about external modems is afaik they're all hardware-based,
so there's no chance of getting a winmodem that won't work with linux.
But there are internal hardware modems that work fine, and they're often
cheaper than external modems.  I personally prefer internal modems
because you don't have extra stuff hanging off your box.  Otoh, external
modems are easy to reset.  Ones I've used with good results are:

ISA:  Aopen ITU/2 (about $30, if you can still find them).
PCI:  3com 2977, 2978, 5610.  (oem voice and no voice, and retail.
                               starts at about $40).

According to the winmodems are not modems website at
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html, Zoom does make a hardware
based internal modem, the Zoom 2920 (Digitan DS550-558).  I haven't used
it, but I have seen it on sale at Best Buy for $40.