On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:55, Roger Schmeits wrote:

> > However, I'm very confused about why you'd put those in the global
> > section, since you first make all shares writable, and then set them
> > read only.  :)
> to be honest I am setting up out first samba server.  it will be housing
> everyone home directory and trying to take a very restrictive approach
> to the smb.conf. If it is too restrictive I can then open it up as
> needed.

I'm not confused by wanting to make everything read only, just by why
you'd set "read only = no" (which makes everything writable) and then
set "writable = no" (which makes it read only again).  Mostly I'm just
being facetious.

In either case, you may note that according to the man page, shares are
read only by default anyway, unless specifically made writable.  The
"homes" share defaults to being writable (read only = No in the config
file), because only the user that owns the directory can log in to it.