On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Pine allows me to change where it looks for mail, but is there a way to
> tell procmail to put incoming mail into a different file rather than
> /var/mail/username I would like to pick up the

Of course. In the delivery line, just put the path and filename:

        :0:
        /home/linda/foo

You can also use the $HOME environment variable to save typing:

        :0:
        $HOME/foo

or change the default delivery directory with $MAILDIR if you want to
deliver to a bunch of different mboxes in a given directory.

        MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

        # Deliver to $HOME/mail/larry
        :0:
        * ^TOlarry
        larry

        # Deliver to $HOME/mail/mo
        :0:
        * ^TOmo

        # Deliver to $HOME/mail/curly
        :0:
        * ^TOurly
        curly

The procmailrc and procmailex man pages have a lot of excellent
information in them. The main thing to remember is NOT to use a trailing
slash on the delivery line, or procmail will attempt Maildir delivery,
which is unlikely to be what you want if you're using pine. Ditto for a
leading dot, which is for MH formats.

--
"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes."

                        - Holly, JMC Vessel *Red Dwarf*