On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 17:46, Chad Skinner wrote:
> Can someone list a few of the tools I need to learn to do tape backups? I
> don't know where to start ... what are the best docs to read.
>
> Chad

some tools that are used are
tar     archiving software
cpio    archiving software
dump    archiving software
mt      tape control program

at least a cursory understanding of these will help  try
info "command"
or
man  "command"

replacing "command" with the above tool names will give you lots of info

tar, IMHO is especally one that you will fnd usful in you linux life as
it is used a lot to group files together into "tarballs" either with
compression or without depending on the flags used to tar it up.

If money is not an issue O'Reilly has a book dedicated to backups that
has gotten good reviews.

googleing on these with howto linux might turn up some interesting stuff
too.

We use amanda as our backup software to back up a bunch of machines
nightly over the LAN. the rpms are included in recent RedHats.

An awful lot depends on what you need to backup and how important it is
as well as the actual tape sytsem used dat dlt etc.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Bret