On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Mike Burger wrote:

> You misnamed the file...it's /etc/host.conf.  No extra s after the t.

How do I look up names in the hosts file? If I do a "host laptop" it
returns the external DNS address, rather than the IP in /etc/hosts.
Setting the no-recursion flag (-r) doesn't do any good, either.

On the other hand, it's *working*, because a ping will use the correct
internal address. I'm just looking for the appropriate lookup tool.

--
"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes."

                        - Holly, JMC Vessel *Red Dwarf*