We're about to purchase a new box to act as a mail server - our current mail server resides on a box with a lot of other applications.

I think I've just about made up my mind to go with sendmail (version that comes with RH), but I'm getting conflicting reports on what size box we need to buy. We're looking at Dell as the manufacturer - we've been told everything from a 2650 to a 6600 series. I'm really not sure which way to go. Currently we have about 350 email users - but there's the potential that we may offer free email accounts to our students - in that case there could be as many as 5100 additional accounts.

We also want to install anti-virus and anti-spam software. Someone had recommended SpamAssassin, and I think I saw on this list that it comes with one of the RH versions? Several AV packages have been recommended to me. I've been leaning toward Vexira, but I haven't been able to find enough users of the package to make me comfortable with it. Has anyone had any experience with it? Or is there something else that you would recommend for that purpose? We're running Norton at the desktop level.

And, lastly, do you think I should wait for RH 8 to be available through Dell, or should I look at Advanced Server for the OS?

Dana Holland [EMAIL PROTECTED] 903-875-7355
Navarro College Corsicana, TX
http://www.nav.cc.tx.us/staff_pages/dana/dana.html