On Thursday 24 October 2002 05:54, Roel Bylemans wrote:
> Hello
> I'v just installed Redhat 8.0, but the graphic part
> doesn't work. Because my graphic card isn't supported.
> I have a Gforce 4 MX 440 64mb.  I have read that you
> have to install xfree86 4.3.0 but this version isn't
> released.  I can alsow download nvidia drivirs for
> linux from www.nvidia.com, but these aren't yet made
> for redhat 8.0. My question: the drivers for redhat
> 7.3 can they also work on redhat 8.0? or is the latest
> version of xfree86 already released? and how i have to
> install these things because this is the first time
> i'm using linux and i don't know how you have to
> install programs or drivers.
>
>                              Roel

Gretings!

Well, the drivers for your card are out there on nVIDIA's site.  But instead
of the RPM, grab the two tar.gz files.  The instructions are on their page,
but if my memory serves me right heres a quick reference:

after d/l both tarballs unpack each
cd into the kernel modules' subdir and as root, run 'make'
cd into the GLX modules subdir and as root run 'make'

edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to have the 'nvidia' device driver and
disable DRI.

Restart, or run ldconfig to make sure the libraries got installed right (again
as root).

I have been using nVIDIA products for nearly 6 years.  No problems.  They also
have IMHO the easiest driver to install.

Andrew