> 1. How do I view the list of loaded modules in the running kernel?

[root@/]# lsmod        this will list the current loaded modules and their
status

> 3. How do I load a new module/s?

[root@/]# insmod modname      this will install a module, it looks in the
current kernel dir ( /lib/modules/2.4.18-14 for Redhat 8.0)
[root@/]# modprobe modname    this will install the mod and any dependencies
it may have.

> 4. How do I make the OS load the new modules everytime the machine
restarts?

To get the new module to start up everytime it is easiest to do this:

1. Add the module and mod alias to /etc/modules.conf  ( ie "alias eth0
3c90x" )
2. cd to /boot and run the below command
[root@/boot]# mkinitrd -f -v /boot/initrd-'kernel'.img 'kernel'  where
kernel is your current kernel version    ( ie. initrd-2.4.18-14.img  for
kernel 2.4.18-14)
make sure the /etc/grub.conf or /etc/lilo.conf files have the initrd=
parameter pointed to this boot image  ( initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img )

I'm not really sure if you can view the status of a modules that isn't
loaded.

However, I try not use use devices that Redhat does not support natively,
there are more that likely better and easier ways of doing this.  This is
how I set up my Promise SuperTrak SX6000 card.

Also, try looking at the man pages for lsmod, insmod, rmmod, modprobe, and
mkinitrd.  They'll help with the necessary switches for your system.

Hope this helps.

1. How do I view the list of loaded modules in the running kernel?
2. How do I query the status (loaded or not) for a particular module?
3. How do I load a new module/s?
4. How do I make the OS load the new modules everytime the machine
restarts?

Thanks in advance
Rgds
--