On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:08:17PM +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2002, 11:47 (-0800) Rob Saul wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 11:19  AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > >
> > > So what is this "Windows probing port 137" thing .. does this mean
> > > every Windows home user machine on WWW probes other machines it thinks
> > > are part of its LAN or so?
> >
> > Well, once possibility is a new piece of spamware that probes for open
> > Windows boxes and pops up Messenger Service dialogs when it can.
> >
> > bit more info here : http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/27634.html

I THINK the port 137 probes are coming from BUGBEAR virus, or so I've
been told. I get 30-40 of them a day in my firewall logs.

I've also had a few on port 445, which I think is the messaging
issue you spoke of, but nowhere NEAR as many as on 137.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked