Ashley wrote:
> mark wrote:
<snip>
>> 2. Is this a precompiled package?

>> If it's the latter, I suggest you look at what the package was compiled
>> on/for. It may *be* a 386 (minimum target) with no support for higher-speed
>> busses.

>     Right now it's running kernel-2.4.18-10.i386.rpm - are you suggesting I
> should install the .i686 one and see if that helps?

Perhaps. It *would* run faster, with the 686-specific optimization.

First, though, check your dmesg to see if it recognizes the bus speed, or if
it has something like:
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

If there, that'll tell us more.

        mark
--
Mark Roth

   Unix/Linux systems administrator & software developer

   Affordable Linux technical support and training for the home user and
small business.  For more information, please contact me at:
        email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        phone +1 773 274 2584