> I've never upgraded a Linux box before, and I have a machine I need to
> upgrade from 6.2 to 8.0.  Will this box upgrade, or do I have to perform a
> clean install?  Are there any other considerations I should have besides
> data backup?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vincent

Most people on this list will tell you to do a clean install.

My experience is that I've upgraded my server here all the way from 5.2 to
6.0, 6.1 etc. It is now 7.2. I've skipped 7.3 and am on my merry way
downloading 8.0 via 56K modem (after about a week only two disks to go!
Yippee (I want my ADSL)).

Along the way I've had to re-setup some config files but for me it was
really nothing major. The only trouble I had was the change from ipfwadm to
ipchains and then ipchains to iptables. But there's plenty of documentation
around to fix these up. The change from LILO to GRUB presented no problem.

I would suggest backing up all your config files and giving it a go.

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services P/L