On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 21:28, John Nichel wrote:
> Yes and no.  The version that RH7 comes with 'can' execute Frontpage
> extensions, but it's installed from a RPM which doesn't set it up.  I've
> never set up Apache to use FP (not sure I would want too), but I'm sure
> it's something you'll have to compile apache yourself for.
>
> On a side note, why limit yourself with FP?  Take a look at php.
>
> http://www.php.net

Hey, what's wrong with python?  I've had the joys of asp (and I don't
want to ever experience it again) so I can't imagine FP or asp on Apache
being worth the time or hassle.

PHP seemed cool when I first played with it years ago, and I've also had
the joys of trying to hack other people's PHP and perl cgi stuff, but
I've given it up.  Ever since I found Python, Zope, WebWare, etc, I
don't mess with any of that other stuff.  Python is one of the two most
well-designed programming languages ever, and it's extremely useful for
web-related stuff.

Depending on your requirements, I'd look at Zope or WebWare, or just
plain old Python cgis for simple stuff.  Actually, if you've ever seen
viewcvs (the newer and better cvsweb) it's a pretty sophisticated cgi
script (written in Python) but still relatively easy to hack (at least
compared to perl, php, c, etc).

As to the original question, I'd stick with 7.2 or 7.3 right now (with
current updates, of course).  That said, I still had web servers running
on 6.1 and 6.2 machines until just recently (but the older ones are more
difficult to maintain/upgrade).

Steve