Hello mark,

Thursday, October 31, 2002, 1:39:18 AM, you textually orated:
m> Several folks say I should ignore my friend, and that gcc 2.96 is just fine.

m> Wrong.

m> About a week ago, *I* was compiling a new kernel, 2.4.19 (seems to be the
m> real stable release). I was getting SEGVs, alternating with undefined
m> functions or variables. I finally succeded only by doing the make bzImage
m> about six times, sequentially. Each time, it had no trouble getting through
m> the problem it had before, but croaked later.

You may find it interesting to note that I have often used kernel compiles
to help determine if there are hardware problems. The behavior you describe
is indicative of the results when there is a hardware problem (usually RAM,
but could be lots of things).

You may want to try memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) or some other
hardware.

If it failed _at_the_exact_same_point_ every time, it would be much easier to
believe it as a compiler error. Unless you were fixing the code in between
runs.

Have fun,
 Brian Ashe                     CTO
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.
 http://www.dee-web.com/