Hello everyone...
I asked just yesterday about RH 8.0 and dealing with large files on a /mnt'd WinNT server. Thanks for the few responses I got.

This seems to be a major limitation for Linux, very unfortunate because now it looks like I'm going to have to bail on the Linux project I have that requires dealing with Large Files on a WinNT machine.

This also brings another question to mind and I realize this is a bit "Off topic" for Red Hat and I apologize for that. But here's another concern of mine. We have an IBM mainframe system here running VM as the base O/S, with several guest O/S's also. IBM is pushing VM-LINUX via TV ads etc. But if there is this kind of limitation in Linux, I can't imagine that VM-Linux will be useful at the Enterprise level, in this fashion. Being the Systems Analyst here, one of the things I do is to recommend to upper management directions for our mainframe systems. I have wanted to get them to upgrade to a processor for VM-Linux usage, but since I have these file size problems, this has now become a major "Hard sell" to management. Does ANYONE know if this problem is also an issue in this respect?? Because if it is, I can't make correct recommendations without knowing one way or the other...

Again, a bit "Off topic" and I need to know this also. If anyone can guide me to a source for this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks...
--
Rich Parker
http://www.fssi-ca.com