From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:redhat-list-admin@;redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Michael H. Warfield
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 10:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hacking attempts from Sweden.

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 06:34:13PM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 12:01:54AM +0100, linux power wrote:

> > If yo have a firewall rember to close the netbios ports 137-139 .

> The default rule for any firewall should always to block *everything*.

> Then open up only those ports that you absolutely need and then if you

> can, restrict them to certain source addresses.

> Many major ISPs here in the USA block 137-139 by default.  I couldn't
> open it if I wanted to (and I certainly don't).

        I'm afraid they don't.  I'm afraid that even the ones that
DID after NIMDA and Code Red (a few of the broadband and DSL providers)
no longer are, for some DAMN reason.

        I run a "dark network".  A research network of over 25,000 IPv4
addresses which are nothing more than /dev/null sinks for packets. I'm
now seeing close to one MILLION packets a day for port 137/udp thanks to
Microsoft and Opaserv and related ilk.  Over half are from US sites...
I know of NO major US ISP which is systematically and uniformly blocking
those ports.  GOD!  I wish it were true.  We NEED to cut off ALL
Micro$oft protocols at the core routers.  That's ports 135-139 plus 445
udp and tcp and BOTH outbound and inbound - SRC and DST ports.  It ranks
right up there with anti spoofing rules which state that you do not
route in what you would not route out.  Ain't happening... Even though
the later is even in an IETF best practices...  It just ain't
happening...  Sigh...

>         .../Ed

> --
> Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:ewilts@;ewilts.org
> Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |