In case the other messages did not sink in...

1. There is no reason I can think of why you can't close those ports. In
fact there is
no good reason why they should be open at all. If you really DO require
netbios traffic
externally then use a VPN.

2. masquerade does not "use" netbios-ns. Maybe your policy allows it
through. In
which case your rules are wrong. The netbios-ns is either being forwarded
from a local ms-windows box (you should not be allowing this) or else you
have samba on
your firewall configured wrongly. It should only be allowed on your local
network (set in smb.conf).

3. masquerade cannot even handle netbios over tcp/ip. It is one of those
nasty packet formats
that require helper routines to mangle the header. As far as I know it has
never been done
for Linux. Certainly not for ipchains/masq.

4. Perhaps you are using a trivial firewall ruleset, which might be OK for
testing things
out, but not for full-time use. As others have said already, block
everything and then
only allow what is necessary.

5. BTW, the netbios broadcast is for a name in a workgroup, not an IP
number.

Cameron.