On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 09:45:06AM +1300 or thereabouts, Roland Hill wrote:

> Being a new user, I would appreciate if you could kick me in the right direction on
>the following issue.

> I have a dial up, single account with my ISP. Simplistically, I would like to
>receive email, filter the content, then direct the email to the end user based on the
>filtering rules. I would also like to be able send email "internally" from user to
>user (my wife & I may never speak again!!).

> -MTA (sendmail, postfix, qmail etc) to deliver
> -Promail to do the filtering
> -qpopper to allow the win box users to receive the messages

The only thing I can add, after using Sendmail, Postfix, and now qmail, is
that in your situation Postfix would be easiest to set up and run for your
needs..  Qmail is my favorite, and I use that, but it is made for
full-time, connectivity, and you would need the serialmail patch first for
your dialup...  In Postfix, you would need just your smarthost for your
SMTP relay, which would be your ISPs address, that's just about it. It
will hold you mail for delivery in queue  until you are on line, then you
could do a postfix flush to get it out quickly.  The 1 or 2 changes you
would need in Postfix, is done in one file, the main.cf file.. That's it.
It would handle all your LAN and WAN mail without a problem and with
security.  It is modular, and faster than the monolithic Sendmail, IMO.

www.postfix.org  or  www.lifewithqmail.org

--
Best regards,
Gary