I think what Gabriel was trying to say, which I would suggest as well, is
that all
entry to your local system should be through machine (a). Then ssh from (a)
to (b), (c) etc.
This means you only have to have one port open externally and one copy of
sshd that is critical.
(not that you wouldn't keep them all up to date, of course).

Or do you have something messy like different user lists on the different
machines?

Cameron.