Forget about configuring it that way.  Download
Firestarter from http://firestarter.sourceforge.net

Firestarter is configured within an Xwindows session,
so if so consider that first.

It has a much easier graphical user interface, and the
script it creates will start iptables for you.  It
aslo gives you the option to use NAT, and to start
firewalling at the time you connect.

Completely disable any firewalling that you currently
have, by using the command "ntsysv --level 345" to
tell iptables NOT to start at all in runlevels 3, 4,
or 5 (UNcheck the box for iptables).

After playing with it for a week or two, I decided it
was the best thing for my home LAN, and I personally
hope to see RedHat and others use in future products.