I company I do some work for is looking at spending a whole lot of money
on a product from sendmail.com that offers an smtp gateway with spam
filtering and anti-virus.

I'm thinking they could save a lot of money by doing it themselves using
Redhat. I've searched the archives and certainly found stuff on spam,
like using Procmail, but I have some questions that would clear up some
confusion for me if anyone has the time to answer.

1) If I run procmail do I need to run sendmail or will procmail do
everything? ie, receive mail, process it for spam, then forward to
another mail server, like Exchange, Lotus Notes, or even another
sendmail server for delivery to the user.

2) I'm also thinking they should use DNSBL so I guess that means using
rblcheck? Would this then be using Sendmail, Procmail, AND rblcheck?

3) I see procmail mentioned a lot. Anyone think there is a better way of
doing it?

4) Is there a open-source or inexpensive anti-virus solution available
for smtp servers?

For it to be worth it, I figure any mail that gets tagged as spam or
containing a virus will need to be held somewhere for someone to go
through it. For example, to make sure it really is spam. This would need
to be easy to do, it could be just a normal user like an HR person who
has to do this. It will also need to be fairly easy to update the spam
filters to adjust for email that gets through.

I apologize if this exact question has been asked before. I would
appreciate any feedback you have or suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
James