I too notice a slowdown in going from 7.2 to 8.0, and it doesn't matter whether I use KDE or Gnome. I checked that DMA is on. I'm using a different disk, so I'll check into that. Are there any benchmarks that measure (or correlate with) things like application launch time, window/menu pop-up time and the like?