I had a simmelar problem with ftp.
I solved it by adding a host entry of the ftp client machine into the
/etc/hosts file of the machine running the ftp server.  You could also
look at your resolv.conf files of both machines.  If the dns that is
specified there is unreachable,
one also get delays like you describe.  For testing you might try
with a resolv.conf on both just containing
nameserver 127.0.0.1
hth Willem

--
Willem van der Walt