On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:59:31AM -0500, Jake Colman wrote:

> I am running RH 7.2 with samba.  The printer is an HP LJet Series II
> connected via parallel port directly to the server.  Printing from a Win98
> system to the samba-hosted printer seems to take an inordinately long time.
> The printer's "ready" light begins flashing right away which means that the
> document does get spooled to the linux box and over to the printer.  Could it
> be that it's being converted to graphics instead of remaining as text?  The
> text being printed are web pages wihtout pictures or Word documents.

It's possible. One of the choices in the spooler setup is whether or not
to send plain text directly to the printer. If set to not do so, it then
gets converted to PostScript which in turn is rendered (by GhostScript)
into whatever graphics commands it takes to draw it on your printer.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,