Its an Intel 440GX motherboard that has a SCSI HBA in it to accommodate its 4 hot-swappable drives Its the SCSI chip that kills RedHat -- the drivers they ship seem to be broken for this version of the aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter...

The way one used to get around this under RH 6.2 and 7.1 was to use "linux apic" when you were installing. Now that works for the installation but fails on a live system. The last time I queried RH on is they said "its a bug in the chipset --its intel's problem and there's nothing we can or will do about it." Too bad because RH8 is such a nice system otherwise. However SuSE8.1 works quite well on the system.

Of course, there are more of these motherboards around than you can shake a stick at.. I've never understood RedHat's position on making this work either -- why tick off a large installed base...?

David