Just a suggestion :
With the latest Promise U66 bios and drivers I had to go back to the old ones because I begun to have the weirdest things you can imagine .In fact I had a lot of data loss and had to reinstall and reformat the disc .

I'm using RH8 now with 2.4.19 Kernel and Promise Ultra 100 and no problems at all ( except for the usual occasional software bugs - in this case the rpm problems ).

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 05:55:42PM -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:

No problems for me yet on an RH 7.3 athlon 2.4.18-18 (or 17) kernel or on
8.0 on the same kernel versions. One is an Ultra/100 (7.3) and the other is
an Ultra/66 (8.0) controller.

Weird!

I've got the latest firmware in the ultra66, how about you? (from memory,
I think it's verson 2.0 build 18 (2.00b18).

Fred

-Rick
--
Rick Johnson, RHCE - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux/WAN Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)
PGP Key: https://mail.medata.com/pgp/rjohnson.asc

----- Original Message -----
From: "fred smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 4:59 PM
Subject: The new Kernel

Is anyone else having trouble with the 2.4.18-x kernel?

Specifically, it doesn't LIKE my promsie Ultra66 ATA controller. Cannot
(reliably) access the drive on /dev/hdg (promise controller, second IDE
channel, master). Tends to hang the mount or e2fsck or whatever commands,
tends to do weird things to the sytem such that it won't, e.g., shutdown
when told to.

Happens on both the 2.4.18-17.7x and 2.4.18-18.7x kernels. the older
2.4.9-34 kernel seems to work fine with this device.

It has been entered in to RH's bugzilla, but so far there are no replies
(except for my own additional comment).